Sunday, January 18, 2009

Apple Pie Trial #1

I bought a bag of nice green granny smith apples last weekend and wanted to make my first attempt an an apple pie. Though after flipping through some of my favourite blog/recipe sites and my cookbooks, I just couldn't decide which type to make o_0 ... It occurred to me that I couldn't make one big apple pie since there were only two of us and it'll be so hard to eat the remaining parts once it's all cut up.

So I decided on mini apple pies would be perfect since we could easily reheat or perhaps just take to work if we didn't finish. I wasn't sure of the exact texture that I wanted but it's a good start to try making the filling :)

image name


Ingredients
  • 3 Small Granny Smith Apples
  • 1/2 teaspoon of Cinnamon Powder
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 2 sheets of pampas shortcrust pastry

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
  2. Chop up apples into small cubes (I placed them into a bowl of water with a tablespoon of lemon juice to stop them from turning yellow)
  3. Heat up skillet and cook apples
  4. Add the cinnamon and the sugar
  5. Cook apples til it dries up (like a sticky mixture)
  6. Cut pastry into circles to fit your muffin tin

The pastry was a bit too crunchy and seemed to suit a savory tart more than an appie pie; not the mention the inconsistent sizes :P I could just hear my better half giggle behind me, though its ok for the two of us, but I think I'll make a better effort next time to make sure they're all the same :)

I think the apples could do with a bit more cinnamon, so I think next time I should up the amount to at least 1 teaspoon.


image name

I saw this post from Coffee and Vanilla. If you have a look at the link the pie pastry look so much nicer and crumblier. I think this was the sort of texture I wanted to achieve and I think I'll make that my trial #2 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment