Friday, January 9, 2009

Mint Peas


Today we are going to have pasta and being the Chinese brought-up me, I have to have some vegies on the side otherwise dinner just doesn't seem like dinner. There was nothing much apart from a packet of peas left in the fridge as we did a good job at cleaning up the left overs from Christmas and New Years.

I started thinking what would go well with peas and that we have around the house. I wanted something light as we have been having a heatwave of 37 degrees celcius here in Perth. My mind wandered to our mint plant which had been under utilised since last year and the leaves had just been looking at me for the past few days :) With some web surfing, I made some modifications to this recipe on the
eHow website:


Ingredients
  • 1 Tbsp of Finely Chopped Mint Leaves
  • 1-1.5 lbs of Fresh Sugar Snap Peas (I had normal snow peas only)
  • 2 Tbsp of unsalted butter

Method
  1. Wash and snap of ends of the peas. I also peel of the fibre on the sides.
  2. Boil peas in boiling water (add a bit of salt to it) until its cooked but still crisp
  3. Cool peas in a colander with running water, you can use ice
  4. Melt the butter in skillet over medium-low heat, add the peas and half the mint.
  5. Add some salt and ground black pepper to taste


    I only used half the mint from the recipe as I didnt want it to be over powering. The fresh mint from the garden was very fragant, I noticed the flavour was stronger if I shredded them right before adding them to the peas :)



    We served the peas as a side with some light pesto pasta and chicken from Lenards ~ yummm ~


    No comments:

    Post a Comment